The joint European Society of Pathology and the International Academy Congress (ESP/IAP) was conducted virtually in 2020 due to Covid-19. Organisers set the following objectives:
- Create a first-class online experience
- Provide a seamless and user-friendly attendee experience
- Clearly communicate the value proposition for the online event
- Surpass 2019 abstract submissions and attendee numbers
eTechSuite and GLOBIT were selected as the successful tenderer as the partnership offered flexibility/ability to create new features to meet client objectives. However the joint appointment meant all systems from the two technology companies had to be integrated to such level of detail that the user would not know they would be switching between different platforms.
eTechSuite provided abstract and program management (eOrganiser) and GLOBIT provided congress website, virtual portal, registration, live session streaming, online program for participants (CO CONGRESS ONLINE®) and the on-demand content library.
In order to achieve the objectives of seamless user experience and communicating the value proposition to stakeholders, the platforms seamlessly integrated to ensure users only required one account and login for their entire journey. Data was transferred instantly from one platform to the next through API connections. Result? An intuitive and seamless front end user experience.
The following steps were fully integrated and automated between the eTechSuite and GLOBIT products:
- Abstract submission started with a congress registration in CO CONGRESS ONLINE®
- Authors chose “Submit Abstracts” in their participant profile and were automatically redirected to the eOrganiser-based abstract submission portal
- Abstracts were submitted in eOrganiser
- After abstract submissions closed, the entire planning of the congress program (3 days, 6 channels) was completed in eOrganiser via the drag-and-drop program build feature
- Final program was imported automatically to the stream management system of CO CONGRESS ONLINE®
- eOrganiser provided upload options for documents; the stream management system of CO CONGRESS ONLINE® provided video upload options
- Uploaded videos were transformed to a streamable format and added to the online program as on-demand content; videos were available for streaming only 15-30 minutes after upload
- Live streams were created automatically and added to the online program as live stream content
- All uploaded documents were linked to the relevant sessions and talks in the online program and thus were accessible to all participants with virtually no manual work by organisers, saving up to 60 hours per 100 abstract submissions
Overwhelming positive feedback from participants was evidence of the achievement of the client’s objectives to create a world-class online event and provide value. Registration targets were well exceeded with almost 25% more attendees than 2019. Altogether 1,323 author accounts were created for the submission of 1,919 abstracts; at 1.41 abstracts per author, this very high engagement level demonstrates the simplicity of the systems. Client satisfaction was extremely positive and demonstrated by organisers re-signing eTechSuite/GLOBIT for its 2021 Congress and engaging additional features including eTechSuite’s digital poster system ePresenter.